Overview About Shimla:- Shimla is the capital of the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, in the Himalayan foothills. Once the summer capital of British India, it remains the terminus of the narrow-gauge Kalka-Shimla Railway, completed in 1903. It’s also known for the handicraft shops that line The Mall, a pedestrian avenue, as well as the Lakkar Bazaar, a market specializing in wooden toys and crafts.
Shimla:- Shimla is the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh in India. It is a very popular holiday-retreat during the summer months and is well-known for its Victorian architecture, which is reflected in certain areas of the Mall and The Ridge. It is also a famous holiday spot for a honeymoon.
Top Places in Shimla:- The top sightseeing places in Shimla are The Ridge, Kufri, Chail, Kalka Shimla Toy Train, Tattapani, Mall Road, Shimla.
Spend an exciting night in Shimla by visiting these top five places during your trip.
Mashobra: Inviting all adventure junkies for a skiing getaway, Mashobra is located in Reserve Forest Sanctuary of Shimla. It is a wonderful getaway to enjoy a peaceful escape and do trekking.
Top Activities in Shimla:- The top activities in Shimla are Stay in Urban Getaway in Shimla, Forest Camping in Shimla’s Junga, Camping in Shimla with Trekking, Cottage Stay in The Woods Of Shimla, Camping at Mashobra in Shimla, Offbeat Camping Experience in Shimla.
Take a leisurely walk along the Ridge, shop at Lakkar Bazaar, explore the shops and eateries along the Mall Road, go for trekking, camp under the stars, enjoy a session of ice skating or golf, watch the sunset at Scandal Point, gain an insight into the Himalayan wildlife and soak in the mesmerising views during the Kalka-Shimla toy train ride.
If you have time, don’t forget to cover Kufri on your trip to Shimla. This small hill station promises the most beautiful views of snow-capped mountains and a chance to indulge in exciting winter sports like ice skating and skiing. If you’re visiting Kufri during winters, there’s a high possibility that you’ll get to experience snowfall.
Famous Food:- Some of the most famous food items in Shimla include meethe chawal (red rice), khoru (yoghurt flavoured with coriander and cumin), patron (steamed rye leaves roulade with besan and fried), chaa gosht (lamb cooked in yoghurt gravy), murgh anardana (chicken cooked in pomegranate paste).
Best Time To Visit:- From October to June: This is a popular tourist season in Shimla as the weather is quite pleasant and perfect for outdoor activities. The temperature is comfortable and usually varies between 15°C and 30°C. If you are into adventure sports then this is the ideal time to try paragliding, trekking, camping and river rafting.
Most Popular Languages:- Languages spoke: English and Hindi are the dominant languages spoken in Shimla. A sizeable minority does speak Punjabi. In addition to these several native dialects of Pahari language are also spoken by the residents of the area.
Famous Festival:- Rakhri : Rakhri is one of the major festivals celebrated all over India. It is known as Rakhrunya in Mandi district, Salunnu in Sirmaur district and Rakhpunya in Shimla district. It is well known as ‘Rakhri‘ in most of Himachal Pradesh.
Sightseeing in Shimla:– Visit the Shimla Museum, Ridge Maidan, Viceroy Lodge, Mall Road, and Christ Church. Admire the amazing beauty of the region and visit Kufri to enjoy the majestic snowfall. Soak in the beauty of the region with the hills and the valleys. Stroll down the local markets and explore the amazing handicrafts.
2Nights and 3Days Itinerary of Shimla:-
Day 1- Reach Shimla by noon and unwind a little in the hotel room. Head out to Mall Road by walking to enjoy the crisp air in the evening. Soak in the aura of the place and dine at local restaurants on the Mall Road.
Day 2- You should consider visiting the Jaakhu temple, without which your trip to Shimla is not justified. If it’s the winters, you could take a cab for half an hour to Kufri and enjoy the snow there with your loved ones. A perfect activity for the whole day. Or you could visit the Viceregal Lodge and lose yourself in the way the British indulged. Call it a day at the Church on the Ridge.
Day 3- Wake up early, take a hike to the nearest hilltop and watch the sunrise. Walk into any bakery at the Mall Road for a continental breakfast; the British way. Head on for some local shopping at the Mall Road and the Lakkar Bazaar (also visit the Chota Bazaar for cheap overcoats, jackets, and blazers), to get little trinkets and curios. Head to the hotel by evening and call it for the Day.
Most Visited Nearest Places to Shimla:- Some are the famous places to near Shimla:-
Kiarighat: Nestled amidst the beauty of lush greenery, silent valleys and amazing mountainscapes, Kiarighat is well-suited for holidaying with families.
2. Theog: At a distance of 28 kilometres from Shimla, with an elevation of 1965 metres, Theog is a wonderful escape and houses a family-friendly atmosphere.
3. Solan: An ideal concoction of breathtaking mountainscapes and dense vegetation, Solan is getaway to the eminent spots like Kasauli, Kalka and Chail.
4. Chail: Eminent for its unparalleled beauty, salubrious climate and untouched forests, Chail is a laidback place to unwind in the lap of nature with your family.
Naldehra: Away from the hustle-bustle of urban chaos, Naldehra is an exquisite getaway which can leave any traveller completely awestruck. Here, one can indulge in Horse Riding and Nature Walk, among other things.
2. Matiana: About an hours drive from Shimla, Matiana is an alluring hamlet and is one of the ideal places for a weekend getaway. Enjoy BBQ and Bonfire Nights, trek around the trails or simply enjoy a day by a gurgling stream.
3. Fagu: At an elevation of 2500 metres above the sea-level, Fagu is home to the mystic aura, cotton ball clouds, myriad of Flora & Fauna and lovely apple orchards.
4. Karsog: Nestled in the magical realm of Himalayan beauty, Karsog is all about solitude, serene ambience, lush greenery & grandeur of Pir Panjal Range.
Kasauli: Established in 1942, Kasauli is a revitalizing retreat for couples who wants to rekindle the romance. It is comfortably snuggled among the Shiwalik Ranges and is known for its mind-boggling panorama.
2. Manali: Along the banks of Beas River, Manali is one of the preferred destinations for couples. Along with the attractive sightseeing spots, it also offers numerous adrenaline rushing activities like Paragliding, Rafting, Camping, Trekking, and much more.
3. Kufri: Quaint Himalayan town, at an altitude of 2720 metres, Kufri is an excellent place to celebrate love and create cherishable memories. In addition, one can opt for adventure activities like hiking and trekking with their partner and enjoy the thrill.
4. Shojha: Unwind and relax in the middle of the wilderness with your partner and spruce up the passion. It houses unperturbed beauty and is a great option for couples seeking some solace.
A perfect place to visit during a vacation with family, Shoja is one of the offbeat destinations in Himachal Pradesh, away from the hustle and bustle of tourists.